Monday, September 24, 2007

Jesus Freak

So we're doing a project in Journalism class. We had to find 5 events in between a certain time period, blah blah blah. It's more complicated than it should be, and all that doesn't really matter. What does matter is this...

One of the events I chose was the Columbine shooting. We had to give a short summary of what happened, and what role journalism would have played. Do you believe it's been 8 years since the shooting? I mean surely it did not effect me directly, but I remember that day very clearly.

I got home from school that day and the news was on. My sister was crying, and my mom was watching intently. I had no idea what was going on. I couldn't even fathom the concept of a school shooting really, but I knew that it was bad. I knew that something was happening.

A year or two ago I read the book, Rachel's Tears. This book told some of the story of Rachel Joy Scott, a victim of the shooting. For a long time I put this whole story off. It touched me, and I thought it was awesome that in the face of death, she looked in the devil's eyes, and was faithful to her God, but I have a deeper appreciation now that I am further in my own faith.

It makes me wonder and evaluate myself. Would I have said yes? Do I have what it takes to be a modern day martyr? to be a "Jesus Freak"? I sure hope so.

Paul tells us in Philippians that to live is Christ and to die is gain. To die is gain! This is one of my favorite verses, because it assures me that this world is not my home. There is something much greater in store for me. So I pray that I have the endurance to make it through and receive my prize, or if God's plan for me is to be a martyr, that I can give my life for Him.

I'll probably post about this again.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed this post a lot. I, too hope that I would say "yes". And I ofter wonder if I really would've had that strong of faith.

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete